Dentaid is an international dental charity committed to improving oral health around the world. Over the last 21 years Dentaid has worked in more than 70 countries to improve access to dentistry and oral health education.
By equipping and supporting local dentists, running teeth screening, fluoride application and toothbrushing programmes and giving British dental professionals regular opportunities to volunteer abroad, Dentaid works tirelessly to help people suffering from oral pain and prevent them from developing problems in the future.
We work in some of the poorest and most remote communities in the world helping some of the 1.3 billion people who have toothache but no access to dental care. Dentaid volunteers run outreach clinics in prisons, orphanages, schools, slum areas and community buildings providing pain relieving dental treatment for hundreds of people a day. Our volunteers also support local dentists by providing equipment and sharing expertise.
More recently Dentaid has been asked to work closer to home providing emergency dental care for refugees at camps in Greece. Dentaid has set up clinics on the islands of Lesvos and Samos and has sent almost 40 teams of volunteer dental professionals to treat around 4,800 refugees.
In 2003 Dentaid designed a portable chair which, along with other equipment, fits into a wheelie bin to produce a fully portable dental surgery that can be operated without access to running water or electricity. In the last year DentaidBoxes have been sent to countries including Burkina Faso, Malawi, Sierra Leone, Bangladesh, Guinea and The Solomon Islands. Dentaid continues to recondition donated dental equipment and surgeries and in May 2017 we sent three full surgeries to replace broken, antiquated equipment in Moldova, the poorest country in Europe.
Oral health education is at the heart of what we do and Dentaid volunteers establish toothbrushing programme and promote sugar awareness and dental health at every opportunity.
Dentaid’s UK work continues to expand with a mobile dental unit that travels to day centres, homeless shelters and community centres providing free dental care for people who find it hard to access NHS dental treatment. Volunteers on the mobile dental unit recently provided free dental care for 320 people in Dewsbury where many people are unable to access NHS dental care and there are long waiting lists for treatment. Dentaid also runs a Brightbites Project at schools across the country teaching children about the importance of oral health along with lesson plans and teacher’s packs to support the curriculum.
- Fundraise for a DentaidBox. For £1,500 plus shipping we can send a fully portable dental surgery to a dentist working in poor and remote communities around the world.
- Join a Dentaid volunteering trip. Dentaid has opportunities for UK registered dental professionals to volunteer in Kenya, Cambodia, Uganda, The Philippines, Zambia and Morocco.
- Deliver Dentaid’s BrightBites oral health programme in your local school.
- Support the work of the mobile dental unit which provides dental care for homeless and vulnerable people in the UK.
- Join a fundraising event such as the Dentaid skydive, Ride London or our Golf Day. Or organise your own fundraising event for Dentaid in your practice.